Ben Hudson, long time personal friend of mine, is a top professional boxing trainer and former professional boxer with a career of 49 fights. Ha has been boxing for over 20 years and training under his guidance is a great experience for both the amount of practical skill and knowledge he manages to pass onto his trainees.
Ben agreed to run a boxing session for CARISMA, on Thurs, 15 January, at Kelsey Kerridge: this session will be based purely on boxing, including pad work, offensive and defensive strategies, so just bring your boxing gloves, hand wraps, trainers and focusing mitts for those who own a pair.
For kickboxers this is a great opportunity to maximize your own boxing skills and, for the most advanced, to refine them with input from a true expert.
The Combat Kickboxing Academy has recently announced a new Light Contact Continuous competition in Thurston (near Bury St. Edmund) for the 15 March 2009.
All members interested in participating should notify Massimo by Email, as soon as possible, indicating their weight, date of birth and number of fights to date. Each participant must be prebooked and he/she will be prematched with opponents of similar weight, ability and experience in order to maximize fairness and the quality of the competition itself.
Please find enclosed the rules (directly copied from the organizer’s letter) that apply:
- NO SPINNING BACKFIST
- NO BACKFIST
- NO TURNING BACKFIST
- NO DROP SWEEPS
- NO SPIN SWEEPS
- NO FACE CONTACT FOR UNDER 16 YEARS OLD (HEADGUARD ONLY)
- ALL KICKS ABOVE THE WAIST
- BOOT TO BOOT SWEEPS ONLY
- NO BELTS TO BE WORN
- LONG TROUSERS ONLY: NO SHORTS
- SHIRTS TO BE TUCKED IN
- GROIN GUARDS TO BE UNDER TROUSERS
- HEAD GUARDS TO BE WORN BY ALL
- CORNER STAFF TO BE SEATED, NO LEANING ON THE ROPES
- ONLY 2 CORNER STAFF
- NO ADMITTANCE TO FIGHT AREA WITHOUT A PASS: BE READY WHEN YOU ARE CALLED TO FIGHT
- ALL BAGS TO BE LEFT IN THE WARM UP AREA
- SHOW GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP
- TOUCH GLOVES WITH YOUR OPPONENT
- RESPECT TO OTHER CORNER STAFF
- NO WARNINGS WILL BE GIVEN
- CORNER STAFF HAVE THE CORRECT EQUIPMENT
- WATER IN A SUITABLE SPRAYER
- TOWEL FOR FIGHTER & THE FLOOR FOR SPILLAGES
- LIGHT CONTINUOUS ONLY
- EXCESSIVE CONTACT WILL RESULT IN DEDUCTED POINTS OR DISQUALIFICATION
- DISRESPECFUL BEHAVIOUR BY CORNER STAFF FIGHTERS OR SPECTATORS WILL RESULT IN DEDUCTION OF POINTS OR DISQUALIFICATION.
- BLOOD RULE APPLYS